Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Asking for signs?

In truth, I am a little skeptical about asking signs from God. It's not because I doubt His power, but more on me doubting myself. I keep on thinking, "what if the sign comes up, would that really be 'the sign' or me merely insisting that it is?" I'm not even sure if God really answers this kind of thing. Until I've read this verse:

Judges 6:17-18
Today's New International Version (TNIV)

17 Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. 18 Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.”

And the Lord said, “I will wait until you return.”

It's like Whoa! Hang on a minute, so really, when we ask him some signs He really does give it according to His will. 
************************************
 I realized: You have to be specific.

Maybe one reason why we doubt signs or insist just on anything is because we lack details. I'm guilty of this, sometimes I think, "would God really do that detailed thing I'm asking for, maybe He has more important thing to do... so ok, just this simple (whatever) would do."  

But men, that is all wrong. We have to be specific in what sign we want, so when it happen or not, we would not doubt. Take this example:

Judges 6:36-40
36 Gideon said to God, “If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised— 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said.” 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water.

39 Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece, but this time make the fleece dry and let the ground be covered with dew.” 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.

Don't you think Gideon is a bit demanding? Asking not one, but two signs to be sure. But more than that, he is also very specific in what he sign he's asking. I also think that what Gideon asks is very illogical, or impossible to happen, yet, that was what he asks. And God, in His power did it for him.

Now I know that asking signs is not really a bad thing. And yes, God answers it if it's in His will. There is no illogical or impossible for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...